Monday, July 30, 2012

The Voice on Social Media speaks Volumes in London 2012


Anyone following London 2012 Olympics???

I am doing a Social Media analysis on the 2012 Olympics with the IBM Cognos Consumer Insights solution and thought I would share some of the things people are talking about. My analysis only included internet conversations from Blogs, Microblogs, Videos and Boards from June 17th. There was a lot of discussion about what we can expect for the Open Ceremonies in London. When looking at the weeks before the Opening Ceremonies, the conversatoin was dominated by refernces to Danny Boyle as to a theatrical experience that is to occur. Surprisingly, Ralph Lauren was a close second to Danny in conversation around the Olympic garb his company was providing. While Jacques Rogge was in the top 5, I would have thought Jacques Rogge cracked the top three being the IOC president.



I thought it would be an interesting thing to do a post-mortem on Opening Ceremonies as to who had staying power in conversation and who jumped up. It ws Danny Boyle who kept his name in the top three. The theatrical experience was delivered. But not surprisingly, James Bond jumped up from nowhere and he became the “Most Referenced” spot in this analysis with respect to Opening Ceremonies. The Queen's rendez-vous with 007 and the parachute jump resonated well with people world wide. As a Canadian, I had to compare these ceremonies to Vancouver 2010. These ceremonies are comparable, in fact the song “I Believe” is still being used which is good to hear. In retrospect, Canadians should have had an episode on Austin Powers. Perhaps Austin could have joined forces with Governer General David Johnston in a secret mission of some sort to build more theatrics. But I digress. :)

There was a comment on the internet prior to the Olympics that Soccer and Gynanistics dominated conversation for the US. When I was looking at the numbers I saw something different, so perhaps the analysis included different timeframes or sources (or lack thereof). I found that the US conversation was dominated by Swimming, Tennis and Athletics in that order as shown below.



With respect to the Swimming, the internet chatter is primarly referencing the healthy rivalry between Micheael Phelps and Ryan Lochte. Phelps is edging Ryan Lochte out for the “Most Referenced” in swimming. Does this mean he is a favorite? That would require an affinity analysis which I will leave until another time.

Not suprising, that the breakdown for Canadian conversation actually includes “Hockey” in the top five sports. Strange but true. Perhaps some Canadians, don't know Ice Hockey is not a “Summer” sport. Any fellow Canadians out there? Get talking about Canada in the Olympics, we need more cheers. Go Canada Go!

As I created this analytics model on the Olympics, I thought it was worth while to note that this model included German and French in the analysis and I would expect a few of my colleagues to provide unique content from their languages.

Check in a little later as London 2012 plays out.

Cheers
Chris

No comments: